Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Dry/Damaged Hair? Protein Treatment Straight Out The Kitchen

8:54 PM By Lynne Jones No comments




When you are just stepping into the natural scene you tend to go through these dry periods as you learn to moisturize your hair. I remember when I did the big chop. My hair laughed at the conditioners and moisturizers I used. Water rolled right off my hair. That is so not funny but it is the honest truth! Who knew food right in my kitchen could actually help my chemically-damaged hair shaft. My hair went through chemical shock. It did not want water or a leave-in conditioner it wanted that creamy crack and I refused to give in! So after much research, I realized I had exactly what I needed to help this dry, brittle hair in my fridge. I needed protein. Not a steak or chicken but eggs, yogurt, and olive oil! Yes, protein fortifies the hair shaft, making your hair less brittle and reduces breakage.


Top  Ingredients for Hair Protein

Eggs: The yolk, rich in fats and proteins, is naturally moisturizing, while the white contains bacteria-eating enzymes and removes unwanted oils.






Avocado: (Probably the last thing you will find in my fridge) The oils of the avocado, with its nutty aroma, works wonders on hair. It adds shine and luster to hair as well as preventing hair loss and promotes growth.  Did you know, that the oils in avocados more closely resemble our own skin's oils more than any product on the beauty isle (Ok, I need to broaden my horizon...off to Whole foods I go!).





Yogurt: Styling products (as well as air pollution) can leave a film that saps moisture and dulls shine—but dairy products like sour cream and plain yogurt can help reverse this damage.





Olive Oil: To fight flakes—brought on by poor diet, stress and climate, among other factors—try a lemon juice and olive oil mixture in your hair. "The acidity in lemon juice helps rid your scalp of any loose, dry flakes of skin, while the olive oil moisturizes the newly exposed skin on your head.

 

 

 

Working the Magic

Here are a three typical recipes:

1. Eggs are combined with yogurt, olive oil, mayonnaise or honey to create a conditioning protein treatment for damaged hair. The ingredients can be mixed in a bowl, then worked into damp hair.

2. Try combining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 egg yolk and 1 cup of warm water, or 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of almond oil.

3. Daily Glow recommends making an easy protein treatment by combining egg yolks and plain yogurt.

Shampoo your hair, then gently towel dry to remove excess moisture. Detangle hair with a wide-tooth comb, then work the protein treatment through your hair from the ends upward, focusing on the shaft and ends of the hair rather than the roots. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap or plastic wrap. Leave the protein treatment in place for at least 30 minutes or as long as 90 minutes. Rinse your hair with cool water and follow the protein treatment with your preferred conditioner.

I am so glad my hair is now soaking up oils and moisturizers. My hair is now soft and manageable. If you are just going natural give one of these recipes a try and let us know what your results are!

0 comments:

Post a Comment