For years, I had a love hate relationship with my hair.
On wash day, seeing my coily hair pop thanks to a great shampoo and conditioner: LOVE.
On Day 2, suffering with angry, parched hair that looks like a Brillo pad: HATE.
It took forever for me to realize that I wasn't adopting a method of moisture retention. Deep conditioning - for my hair anyway - is not enough to maintain moisture. If only you knew how many times I wanted to just hack all my hair off or go back to perms out of sheer frustration over this issue!
It wasn't until I came across the LOC method that my life was forever changed…
L: Liquid
O: Oil
C: Cream
The concept is that you wash and condition your hair. Your hair is wet, so you'll sop up all that natural liquid moisture by sealing your hair with an oil. The oil helps those pesky water molecules stick to the hair shaft, apparently. And to be totally sure that that moisture ain't going nowhere, let's throw in a cream or a butter. It may sound excessive but for those of us with thick, porous hair this works….WONDERS.
For the winter, I've been sticking to a specific regimen and have been quite pleased with the approach. For my liquid, I rely on water and an effective leave-In conditioner like Biotera Moisturizing Leave In (Yea, it's the cheap stuff from Sally's Beauty Supply). I top that off with virgin olive oil and then finish it all off with a Shea Butter concoction I made with shea butter, coconut oil and aloe vera gel. I two-strand twist with this recipe and let it dry overnight.
By the next morning I have naturally shiny (not oily) hair. Each day after that I repeat the LOC method, I just don't use nearly as much product just a little bit for retouching.
The LOC Method worked for me, but what do you do to combat dry winter hair? And what's been your experience with the LOC Methods?

0 comments:
Post a Comment